Thursday, March 6, 2008

Some O.K. poker

Yesterday was my worst in a long time. I started off the day on a 3.5 buy in downswing. Since I'm pretty tight that doesn't happen all that often to me. I had straights hit on me 4 times when I held big hands (AA, KK, KK with top set, and KJ with top pair). This is going to happen which is fine but then I missed out on 4 sets, 2 because I folded to a short stacks open raise because it's not profitable to call given their stack size, and 2 because the pots were 3b preflop and I couldn't call. 1 of those sets turned into quads and the other players got it all in. Also folded a KQ from the SB when I completed with an UTG limper and a very tight player from the BB raised with his AK. The loose guy UTG with 67 calls his stack off on a QQ7Q2 board and the BB just bet every street. >=0 very very frustrating but I still made the correct plays and the short term results don't matter because I made the correct long term plays. I played a session at night where I made back 200$ which helped out the cause.

Today was good. I started off by making half a buy in in about 225 hands this afternoon, but got a parking ticket in the process because my meter ran out. Damn downtown Hartford. Then I played another session after my second class tonight and I won a few big hands. I had one guy bluff shove the river with 77 on a 886 10 Q board into my AA. Then on the same table about 45 mins later I get involved in a big hand with a guy who's deep stacked and pretty bad too. Action folds to the cut off who is 24/21/5 over 800 hands and he raises. I know his range is wide and I have position on the button and decide to 3 bet him with 8s7s. The marginal player is 30/20/2 in the SB and flat calls my 3 bets. he plays very random and is overall a weak player. As I assumed the good player folded but I'm a little worried about the 3 bet cold call from the SB.

Flop (27$) 10s 9s 4c

Beautiful, open ended straight flush draw. SB checks I think and bet 21$ he calls fairly quickly and I think he has a very big hand now, an overpair at worst or AQ of spades.

Turn (69$) 6d

MONEY I have the nuts I want to protect my hand against a draw but I really think that's such a small portion of his range here and that he actually has a big hand that he is not folding. I'd expect him to play a big flush draw faster then this.

SB checks I bet 63$ he calls very quickly

River (195$) 5h

Still got the nuts and my stack isn't much compared to the pot. He checks, and I take some time before shoving my last 91$ and change which he snap calls.

Showdown Pot (376$)
SB: KK
Me: the nuts

ship it.

So I ended up up 311$ after I cleared 10$ in bonus for the day. March has been swingy with my big loss yesterday and big win today.

Online 4334

No comments: