Friday, June 1, 2007

Intuition

I feel that intuition is a very vital part to being a great poker player. Some of the best players today base much of their play on their "feel". Sometimes you just have a feeling, no matter how illogical it may seem to others, you know what the outcome will be.

Recently I experienced some of this myself. While watching the Yankees play Toronto the other day in the 7th inning a sac bunt was made to advance a runner but the play ended in a error from a bad throw from third to first. Also while trying to catch the ball at first the runner hit the first baseman jarring him backwards a little and unable to come up with the ball. Interference was not called on the runner even though hes making clear contact with him during the play. Had an out been called it would have ended the inning and the game would be tied 2-2. Now with a man on 1st and 3rd I get a little frustrated knowing the inning should easily be over. I start to think of how the Yankees could lose the lead now. I think "Hmmmm, I haven't seen anone steal home in a long time. I wonder if they'd actually try it here, being tied 2-2 with 2 outs. It's risky but that is what might make it worthwhile." I start to think about the movie Major League when Wesley Snipes steals home. Right before the second pitch, boom Jorge Posada hops up from behind home plate waving his arms at Andy Pettite. You then see Andy throw the ball to Posada but not before Hill from the Blue Jays slides safely into home. Stealing home almost never happens and for some reason I decide to think about it right before it actually takes place.

On another note, the last time I was at Foxwoods, (Monday) a hand came up where it limped in a few spots to a tight player directly to my right. He raises to $20 and I suspect a big hand. A few people call his raise and the player directly to his right moves all in. The original raiser himself moves all in for $440 which covers the first all in players chips of $110. All the other players fold and the tight guy turns up AA, (big shock) and the toher player holds QQ. Now when i looked at my cards I held one of the remaining aces so I knew that his chances were slim on making 3 of a kind. I told the kid I had an ace and I'm sorry to say it but I have a bad feeling about the hand and don't think the aces will hold up to the queens. I hated saying it but I kinda felt like I should warn him about the feeling I got from the hand. Flop K Q 10. The player with AA receives no more help from the borad and loses to the other players 3 queens.


Intuition is not something that you should overlook. People always say follow your heart and trust your gut. I honestly believe that and have for a while. Situations like these just make it so much easier to trust your instincts!!!!!!

No comments: