Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tough night at foxwoods

I haven't been playing much the past few days. My aunt has been living with us as she just got out of the hospital after a heart attack and my grandmother is at our house from Florida as well. Then my cousin got married over the weekend, a friend who is moving to Utah had a going away party. Needless to say I haven't had a lot of time to get any good poker in.

So I decided to go play some live poker last night. It turned out to be a swingy night at times. At my table I noticed how loose people were calling. Alot of hands, even in raised pots, would go 7 handed to the flop. So a hand comes up and it limps in a bunch of spots to me and I'm 2 off the button and I limp with 57 clubs. one guy raises to 11 and it gets called in every spot in front of me so I call and 3 people behind me call. We go 7 handed to the flop. Flop 689. Bingo. We get a few checks then finally a guy on my right bets out 40. I think for a few seconds and call. This was def a risky play because I'm giving a cheap opportunity for someone to catch up. But I also had a feeling that someone would be raising this hand, especially if I call and get one more caller. With all the calling we all look like we don't have much of a hand and it would be a decent sized pot to steal. So like I assume the guy 2 to my left calls and the guy to his left makes it 190 total. The original bettor folds and I go in for my 168 total. other player folds as well. He has top 2 pair and doesn't improve and my straight holds up for a 500$ pot.

Our table breaks soon after and I move to another decent looking table. Early at the new table too I pick up a great hand. I'm in the BB with 88 and one person raises. I decide to call and try to hit a set. Flop 872 with 2 hearts. Now I have the nuts but there is some draws out there I am worried about. I def want to start getting money in the pot. I usually don't advocate slow playing in small stakes games because most players are so bad that they will put their money in very light anyways. But I decided to slow play this as well because I figure we a getting a bet out of someone. As I figure the button leads out for 10 into 33. I raise to 45 leaving him 97 behind with is just enough to make him put it all in on the turn. The other player folds and he calls. Turn Q spades and I put him all in. He calls and I turn up my 888. He looks disgusted and I think I have him drawing very poorly as if he has AA/KK. River comes and its the 4 hearts and he slams down his AQ of hearts for the flush.

Then I play a 87 of hearts out of position like an idiot and hit a flush but run into a higher one for a 500$ pot. Grrrrr.

I end up hitting a few hands and making some great calls. My favorite hand is one where I posted my missed blinds behind the button. It limps in a few spots to me and I have J3 hearts so I check my horrible hand. We go 6 handed to the flop. Flop 245 with 2 hearts. So I have an openended straight draw and a flush draw. It checks to me and I bet out 10. I get one caller. Turn is a Jack and the caller checks I bet out 25 and he takes a little while before raising me up to 70 total. I had a small read on him that he played with his chips a certain way before running a check raise bluff and assumed he was bluffing so I decided to call. Not to mention if I am behind to him I have alot of wins in the deck. River is a 2 and he bets out 50. It took me a while to call but I finally did. I was getting about 3.5:1 on the call and the 2 wasn't a bad card for me. 45 was just counterfitted. He laid me such a good price to call with top pair so I did and he just said nice call and folded. After showing my hand though he looked sick for about the next 10 minutes. He doesn't realize that his river bet is horrible. It's not that I think I'm ahead there every time. It's that in relation to the pot his bet was way to small. There is no way for me to fold there and if he can read me for a jack then that would be a horrible bet because he knows I HAVE to call that bet.

So after a qucik +300 I managed to hit a quick 500 downswing but then slowly work it back up for a net of 123. Tough night but it's better then real work =)

No comments: